Monday 14 November 2011

Pinhole camera v 35mm Film camera

It is very difficult to understand the DSLR and its lens sizes but easier to understand the 35mm film negative size and to be able to compare it with the 5 x 4 " paper negatives I am using.


I am not going to bore you with maths but suffice to say that my 150mm lens is about equivalent to the "standard" 50mm 35mm SLR lens. In actual fact from drawing out to scale the lines needed to compare I have arrived at a figure of a focal length of about 178mm between pin hole and film surface so near enough 150mm


I have also worked out that if I take a photo as a portrait of myself then using the wide angle lens 70mm equivalent of a 23mm 35mm film lens that a distance to the camera of about 500m should be about right.


So an indoor photo shoot is on the cards for tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. I worked out the time for an indoor shoot with available light and the exposure would have been about 2 hours !!!!

    So a re-think necessary ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I dont think you could get little William to stay still for 2 hours.

    ReplyDelete