Thursday 24 November 2011

A trip out to Edith May

UPDATE:
The owners of the Edith May liked the framed printed copies of the first two images below and are to put them on display very soon - now that is great news and spurs me on to do more pinhole camera work.


We set off for the Edith May in bright sunshine as both I and my wife were doing photo shoots she digital and I pinhole.


The sun stayed out and resulted in exposures of 6 minutes for the pinhole camera and goodness know what for the digital camera. 


To ensure I was putting the photographic paper in the pin hole camera the right way round I decided to trim off the top right hand corner with the emulsion facing away from me. When changing the paper negatives on this shoot it was much easier to check than without the cut off.



The Edith May - Lower Halstow

Well I think, but some may not, that this is a fabulous pinhole camera exposure as at long last I even have a sky which of course changes over the 6 minute exposure. The blurred image on the rear mast is their pennant's that they have flying for winning two barge races.


The Edith May and Halstow Church

Similar exposure and much better than a similar photo taken a few days ago and also on this blog.


The creek leading to where Edith May is located.

Foreground , back ground and sky shown in this 6 minute exposure using a yellow filter and also the graduated Neutral density filter within the pinhole camera.

Ok, so there is still a little bit of dust on the filters but much improved.



This is the negative as developed and but the orientation have been turned through 180 degrees from that the camera would have seen but there  with no other processing at all. 

I hope you can see:-
  1. The corner removed bottom right which when in the camera is top right!!!
  2. The wide range of tonal information that is now achieved with Ilford Multigrade VI paper using a yellow Cokin filter
  3. The clouds now in the photo due to the use of the graduated neutral density filter.
A second identical pinhole camera is now being made so that I can take a photo with one and be loading the other ...


3 comments:

  1. Turn the last one round Charles, very good images as I said on Fb. Looks like your nearly there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I take your point picture turned round does make more sense but is still the mirror image of the end result as it is a negative !!!

    ReplyDelete